Anna Sale…the brains behind and the host of the podcast Death, Sex and Money…and another fabulous keynote speaker at Podcast Movement 2016. She presented 10 ways that creating a podcast is like having a baby and shared her parallel journey of becoming a mom and creating Death, Sex and Money. Of course, once again, I saw each one of her points relating to running a business, not just creating a podcast.
- It starts with an urge.
- Many factors have to align – a lot of which are out of your control.
- Your wish comes true…and it’s terrifying.
- You have to learn what makes it grow. Growth isn’t automatic.
- Your new baby is a bottomless pit of need.
- You have to ask for help.
- Pay attention to feedback.
- As it grows you clarify the values you want to amplify out into the world.
- It’s really fun!
- It changes as it grows…so grow with it!
Just typing these out as a list don’t begin to do justice to her presentation told with stories and pictures, but if you have owned your own business for any length of time I’m sure you see the crossover applications instantly.
Lesson #4 really resonates with me right now – I want to make healthy choices for my business (and for our podcast) and that is why I do things like go to conferences, read books and blogs, and meet with mentors who have already grown their businesses in the areas that I want to grow.
Another exciting thought is #8 – in the same way that I try to pass on certain values to my children, I have the opportunity to share the things (and principles) that I value with my employees, my clients, my business associates, and yes, our podcast listeners.
Which lessons from Anna Sale’s list do you relate to most right now in your own business?